Thursday, January 1, 2009

Thomas Jones calls for Favre Benching

Finally someone has called out Brett Favre. Thomas Jones may get some flack for going to the media with this but he's exactly right.

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in an interview Tuesday with New York Hot 97 FM. Favre threw three interceptions in the Jets' season-ending 24-17 loss to Miami that clinched the AFC East for the Dolphins.

"The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality," Jones told the radio station. "If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's OK,' that's not reality. ... I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it.

Reading between the lines, I think what Jones is really saying is that he doesn't think Brett Favre cares and frankly I agree. If you are going to win in the NFL you have to really want it. I want guys on my team that can't sleep at night when they lose. From watching Favre this year I never really got the feeling he cared. He said it himself, he was just having fun playing. For Favre, a sure-fire hall of famer, that may be fine. But for guys like Jones who are trying to build their legacy and win their first championship, that just isn't right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804004

More evidence to this point in a Newsday artcle today.

"According to a Jets player and he was backed by very supportive comments about Mangini from other Jets very few in the room thought Mangini deserved to be fired, and that the acquisition of Favre and his subsequent "me-first" attitude hurt the Jets more than anything."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spfavre0101,0,147368.story

1 comment:

Matt said...

Favre became a cancer for this team - Jones was just saying what everyone else was thinking. While this could get ugly, hopefully this will be a weighting factor in Favre not returning next year.